DIY OR HIRE A PROFESSIONAL?
Should you take on that remodel project by yourself?
Remodeling Projects Can Be Costly & Challenging
Perhaps you have some handy skills or are confident at your ability to learn them as you go. Home remodeling is a great way to increase the value of your home, improve your living environment and your enjoyment. While there are many positive elements in a remodel project, it does come at a cost.
Many home remodeling projects become very expensive very quickly. One way to cut some costs is to complete the project, or a part of it, on your own. If you take on the wrong project for yourself, you could end up losing money and having to scrap the project if you end up unable to do it on your own.
There are endless choices to be made regarding the details of your remodel project. You could spend months planning the project itself and how to finance it. Many people become overwhelmed and paralyzed by so many decisions and options. Having some guidance on when to dive in yourself and how to make these decisions can be helpful and get you to the finish line.
When to DIY
When deciding whether to take the project on yourself or to hire a professional, honestly evaluate your capabilities and your interest in the project. Will you be able to commit to the project to its end? Generally, the following projects can be done by most people that are not contractors:
- Installing baseboards
- Hanging drywall
- Painting a room
- Installing vinyl or laminate flooring
- Insulating open walls
- Fixing an outlet
- Changing a light in the ceiling
- Installing a toilet
- Installing partial PEX plumbing
It’s important to do your research before taking any project on. Look up how-to articles on whatever your project is. Be sure to read several articles and even watch a video or two. Making a mistake could lead to injuries or a ruined project.
When to Hire a Professional
Projects that should probably involve or be completely carried out by a professional include larger projects, projects that require advanced machinery or skill, and projects that could result in serious injury. Some examples include:
- Large Traditional Kitchens
- High End Custom Kitchens with Luxury Cook and Bake Centers
- Small and Compact Kitchens with Innovative Storage Solutions
- Kitchen Expansions with Islands, Peninsulas, and Breakfast Bars
- Quick Kitchen Upgrades
- Built-in Bars, Nooks, and Custom Storage Solutions
- Contemporary and Modern Kitchens
- Dining Room Wall Removal
- Installing hardwood floors
- Paving a driveway
- Installing whole-house gutter and drain pipes
- Updating or replacing an electrical system
- Building an addition
- Installing siding on a home
- Installing windows
- Re-plumbing the house
Is it Worth It?
While it may be tempting to approach a project on your own, perhaps for the experience, to tell your friends you could, or to save money, it’s important to really think about if you will finish the project and where your home will be if you give up. This could increase the costs, time, and stress of the project.
Some contractors may not want to come into a project that’s already been started, or they may have to fix what you’ve done – leading to higher costs. If you’re totally confident, have some back-up money that you don’t mind spending, and aren’t in a rush, go for it! Just be sure to do it safely. It is very unwise to take on projects that may cause injury or irreparable damage if you make a mistake.
Finding a Professional
Perhaps you decided the project is too hard, will take too long, or there are simply too many options that you don’t want to make on your own. Turning to a professional may be your best bet, but now there’s an overwhelming number of options for contractors to take on your project.
A quick google search may turn up thousands of professionals willing to complete your project. Word of mouth is a great way to find someone to trust with your home. If you don’t have a close friend that’s repaved their driveway recently, the internet may be a useful guide. There are many websites with trustworthy reviews for services that meet your needs.
Things to consider
- Cost – While everyone wants a lower cost, be sure to recall the phrase “You get what you pay for.” Most construction projects have overages. By hiring Luxehome Construction you can rest assured that there will no surprises and your project will be completed on time and on budget.
- Reliability – Will the contractors show up on time? Will they feel motivated to finish on time? When signing the contract, consider a penalty for not completing the project by the promised date.
- Comfort – These contractors will be in your home, potentially for months. Be sure the group is trustworthy and won’t make you uncomfortable in your home for the duration of the project.
Home Remodel Contractor in Sacramento
Call Luxehome Construction Inc., for all your home remodeling needs. We are the Sacramento regions honest, reliable and professional general contractor specializing in complete house renovations.
Call Us Today
Tom & Kim S.
We were looking to totally remodel our master bathroom top to bottom. A drastic change to what we currently had installed. After consulting with Paul, we were able to get what we wanted. Plus, we used his experience and great ideas to totally improve the final design. All completed on-time at a good price. Would highly recommend, great guy to work with!